Sick notes

If you’ve been off sick for more than 7 days

If you are sick for more than 7 days, your employer can ask you to give them some form of medical evidence to support payment of SSP (Statutory Sick Pay).


It is up to your emplyer to decide whether you are incapable of work. A medical certificate, now called "Statement of Fitness for Work" (Fit Note) from your doctor is strong evidence that you are sick and would normally be accepted, unless there is evidence to prove otherwise.


To request a continous Fit Note:

Please note, a new Fit Note can only be requested the day of expiry, early requests will not be dealt with until due. 


A new Fit Note will need an appointment with a clinician unless we have received a discharge letter. 


If you’ve been off sick for 7 days or less

If you’re off work sick for 7 days or less, your employer should not ask for medical evidence that you’ve been ill. Instead, they can ask you to confirm that you’ve been ill. You can do this by filling in a form yourself when you return to work. We call this self-certification.

Find out more about sick notes on the NHS website.